The roof acts as a protective covering for your house and all the structures within. Proper maintenance and inspection of the roofing system are essential to avoid damages. Although there are several home improvement services and construction companies that offer roofing services like repairs and replacements, it might be hard to find a reliable roofer who can offer the best roofing solutions at the right price.
Popular roofing scam
One of the most common scams in this niche relates to the pricing policy. If you come across a roofing company in Albany who quotes an unusually low price for the entire project, then you should know that he doesn’t intend to offer a proper roofing service. Established roofing companies follow an average pricing policy and they disclose all their charges in detail.
Most homeowners try to cut down their roofing budget down since the job is rather expensive compared to other home improvement works. Such homeowners easily tend to fall for an exceptionally low quote and thus end up working with fraudulent contractors who would prolong the work by stating various reasons for charging extra money at every juncture. Homeowners who are ignorant about the industry often fall prey to such practices.
A reputable roofer would never involve hidden charges. He would also specify the costs associated with replacements in the event of damages that may be discovered only after removing the shingles.
Identifying a scam
For protecting your interests from roofing scammers, you need to identify them right from the beginning. If you encounter a roofing contractor who quotes a very low price, you should either rule him out or question him regarding the details of his pricing policy. Before hiring a low-budget service provider you should follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Inquire about his charges associated with unexpected problems. This includes detection of damaged underlying structures and the cost of materials required for replacing them.
- Check whether his contract covers expenses for repairing damaged decking.
- Verify the quality and cost of materials he intends to use.
- Check whether the agreement covers the entire cost of labor.
- Find out whether the company enjoys a good reputation. Also, consult with previous customers if possible.
- Refer to reviews offered by HomeStars and similar trusted sites.
- Verify the company profile by referring to the Better Business Bureau.
- Do not make any huge upfront payments before beginning the work.
- Do not fall for high-pressure sales techniques.